CFP English | CFP 中文
What: DEF CON CHINA 1.0 Call For Papers
When: 31 May - 02 June, 2019, The Call for Papers deadline is 01 April 2019.
Where: DEF CON CHINA 1.0 will take place in Beijing, China
How: Complete the Call for Papers Form and send to talks at defcon dot org.
DEF CON will provide hotel accommodations for individuals coming from outside China, and will provide up to $800 for airfare, please contact us for details. Unless you hold an APEC travel card, you will need a visa. Contact us as soon as possible with your full passport details and birthdate in order to request a visa invitation letter from our host. Please note, It is recommended that your passport has at least 6 months validity from 04 June 2019.
To submit your talk, please cut and paste the submission form below into the body of an email or within a single .txt file and send it to talks[at]defcon[dot]org. We request that applications are in plain text only to avoid disfiguring formatting errors. If you are submitting multiple talks, please submit them as separate emails. If you wish to send your submission encrypted via PGP please use KeyID:3A276723 for Nikita(at)DEFCON(dot)org.
If you have not received confirmation of your submission after two business days of submission, please check your spam folder, whitelist defcon.org, and search for mail from nikita[at]defcon[dot]org, then contact us again at talks[at]defcon[dot]org.
Put yourself in the shoes of the DEF CON Review Board. With the large number of submissions, you would want to read well-thought-out, complete submissions without having to load special document viewers or visit external web sites. You would want to read the entire submission without having to look up acronyms or research prior works. You would have many submissions to evaluate and so the most complete ones would stand out to you.
With that in mind your submission must contain all the following information as contained in the form below.
- Presenter Information
- Presentation Information
- Supporting Files
- Scheduling and Equipment Requirements
- Signed Submission Agreements
Please be as detailed as possible so that our review board can best evaluate your presentation against other submissions.
The following are common issues identified in talk submissions:
- Submissions with incomplete application forms.
- Submissions without an abstract, detailed outline, bio.
- Submissions where the outline is not significantly more detailed than the abstract and/or bio.
- Submissions that have sent in only attached slides, papers, or point to a URL.
- Submissions that have withheld details, or have knowingly falsified details.
Deadline to submit is 01 April 2019. It is recommended you submit a submission as soon as you can, we may close early if we receive enough quality content to fill the schedule. Send to talks ]at[ defcon [dot] org.
===== DEF CON CHINA 1.0 CFP FORM =====
Primary Speaker Name or Pseudonym:
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Additional Speaker Name(s)/Pseudonym(s) and Title(s):
Have any of the speakers spoken at any previous DEF CON? If Yes, which speaker, what year(s), and which talk(s)?
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Backup Email, in case of communication failure (optional):
Primary Speaker Phone Number:
Co-Speaker(s) Email Address(es):
Co-Speaker(s) Phone Number(s):
Speakers' Social Media / Personal Site Information (Twitter, Facebook, WeChat, website, etc):
Date of Submission:
Length of presentation: (20 minutes, 45 minutes)
Is there a demonstration? Yes or No. If yes, please explain the demonstration.
Are you releasing a new tool? Yes or No
If you are releasing a new tool:
Under which license?
Is it a full tool suite, a plugin, proof of concept exploit, update to existing tool, or something else?
Is the tool currently public?
What language is the tool written in?
Please introduce your tool briefly and explain what it does:
Are you releasing a new exploit? Yes or No
If you are releasing vulnerabilities, please break them down and abstract as a vulnerability database would. Include the vendor(s), product(s), and version(s) affected here:
Are there any contingencies that might prevent releasing the exploit (e.g. vendor relationships, coordinated disclosure delays, visa approvals, etc)? Yes or No
Have you submitted or do you plan on submitting this topic to any other conference held prior to DEF CON China 1.0? If yes, please list which conference(s) and their dates.
ABSTRACT (not to exceed 1337 characters):
Note: Your abstract will be used for the website and printed materials. Summarize what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform attendees about how technical your talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session, but should not give them the entire content of the talk. We request you keep your abstract well over 140 characters, but at or under the 1337 maximum.
Speaker Bio(s) (not to exceed 1337 characters total):
Note: This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should be written in the third person. Cover any professional or hacker history that is relevant to you and the presentation, you may include past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. If you prefer, you may write your bio under a pseudonym. Please include Co-Speaker and Panel Bios when possible.
Note: This is the most important section on the application. You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk - show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. Your outline should be in simple text. Please do not submit slides, Docs, or PDFs as an outline.
The review board likes submissions that include references to prior works and research you used in developing your presentation. The more detailed your outline then the better we are able to review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted).
Good Outlines are discussed here:
BAD outlines look like these:
iii. something else
Note: Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with your email submission. Additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission and full slides will only be required if you are selected for presenting. It is the submitter's responsibility to remove any PII from any attached slides, white papers, or supporting materials, and to appropriately sanitize any metadata in the provided content.
SCHEDULING AND EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
We work to accommodate special requests regarding speaking time-slots, but cannot guarantee any specific availability. If you have special circumstances limiting when you can speak, please let us know. Is there a specific day or time by which you must present? Yes or No.
If Yes, Please indicate the dates/times and restriction.
DEF CON will have a projector to display my final submitted presentation, Slides will be preloaded for the benefit of translation in both English and Chinese. DEF CON will provide a handheld device to advance your slides, and a microphone. A podium is not supplied. If you have a demo which requires a direct feed to the projector, Internet, or any other necessary equipment to complete your presentation please let us know in advance so that it may be arranged. Are there any other special equipment needs that you will require to successfully present your talk?
Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name where noted. Failure to do so will render your submission incomplete. Please read these carefully as some of the terms have changed.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.
Terms of Speaking Requirements
1) I will submit by 01 May 2019, a completed presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the DEF CON media server, to be released the day of the conference.
2) I will submit a final Abstract and Biography for the DEF CON website and Printed Conference Materials by 15 April 2019.
3) I understand if I fail to submit a completed PDF presentation by 01 May 2019, I may be replaced by an alternate presentation. This decision will be made by DEF CON and I will be informed in writing of my status.
4) I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
5) I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over, or excessively under the time allocation.
6) I understand that DEF CON will have a projector to display my final submitted presentation, Slides will be preloaded for the benefit of translation in both English and Chinese. DEF CON will provide a handheld device to advance your slides, and a microphone. A podium is not supplied. If I have a demo which requires a direct feed to the projector, Internet, or any other necessary equipment to complete my presentation I am responsible for notifying DEF CON in advance so that it may be arranged.
Terms of Speaking Remuneration
1) DEF CON will provide one badge for each speaker per presentation. Each DEF CON badge is good for admittance to all official activities held during DEF CON China 1.0 from 31 May - 02 June, 2019. As additional compensation, the primary speaker per presentation will receive 2 additional badges that I may keep, sell, give away, or use however I wish.
2) I understand that DEF CON will provide hotel accommodations for individuals coming from outside China, and will provide up to $800 USD for airfare. I understand it's my responsibility to contact DEF CON for details. Without prior approval, I will be responsible for my travel expenses, and airfare in excess of $800 USD.
3) I understand that unless I hold an APEC travel card, I will need a visa and a passport with at least 6 months validity from 04 June 2019. If needed I will provide my passport details for a visa letter of invite by 15 April 2019. I understand I am responsible for personal fees associated with obtaining a Passport and/or Visa.
4) I understand that DEF CON will cover the hotel accommodations for all foreign speakers. I am responsible for requesting this in advance with DEF CON. I understand that if I am traveling from within China DEF CON will not cover my travel arrangements and expenses.
5) I understand that any checks issued for travel reimbursement not delivered by the time of presentation may be mailed to me up to 30 days after DEF CON China.
As detailed above, I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use. I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Terms of Speaking Requirements. I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration or I will forfeit my honorarium.
I, (insert primary speaker name) understand that DEF CON's official Press Liaison & Staff may contact me. I consent to be contacted in order to arrange interviews with the media. My contact information will not be given to third parties without my consent.
< OR >